Re: Re: Argument overridden

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:13:25 +0000

>If it was a wrestling contest would you have the same problem ?
>Wouldn't the change of AP's reflect gaining (or losing) holds that
>would restrict the other character's actions ? My point is that the
>attacks ASSUME this sort of effect and getting repeatedly worn down
>to being on the point of losing is going to have SOME effect - what
>else does the loss and transfer of APs MEAN in this contest ?

Okay. First off, a "wrestling contest" isn't possible in HeroQuest. Contests are about goals, not tactics. By restricting the contest to "wrestling" you are already making too many assumptions for my taste.

But let's suppose that for some reason both characters are wanting to win at wrestling. Maybe its a sports event or similar. What other restrictions are there? Lets assume its similar to Judo - so holds and throws are all we allow - no kicking, punching, etc.

So, how does the player make a statement of intent that doesn't include "I grab/throw/hold/pin/whatever him"? The narrative is coming from the players, not the GM...

But I think a more general fight would be a better model. The players can come out with actions like "I punch him in the stomach/face/wherever" and the GM can respond with "he's winded and has blood in his eyes". The actions describe how AP could be lost, the GM provides a narrative of how the loss is being seen, but he isn't restricting player choices arbitrarily.

Cheers,
Graham