Re: A REVIEW I SHALL NOT SUBMIT

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 13:00:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Michael Cule wrote:

> I was planning to send this review off to PYRAMID. I finally decided not
> to as I didn't want to hurt the sales of the game. (Yes, I am that vain
> about my writing abilities...) I mean every word I say here but I'm
> still going to use the system, suitably modified so I suppose that I'm
> practising intelligent self-interest. This will appear in ALARUMS AND
> EXCURSIONS but not elsewhere.

Very well written review, even if I don't agree with you about the AP mechanic. But there is something I just have to comment:

And later you wrote:

> Now for me, a person is only really a Hero if he can look down at
> himself, see the wounds he has suffered and know that he risks his own
> life and still go on. If he can carry on in the face of his own death
> and even loose his life. But that sort of Heroism isn't likely, it seems
> to me, with Hero Wars as it stands.

Seen together these two quotes makes your position seem rather strange to me. A smart-ass reply could be: "God, but that's silly! How many sword blows can Arnie take?"

To me it seems like you first criticise the 'heroic/cinematic' aspects of HW (dodging bullets), while later yout don't get enough heroism: people being able to shrug of shock and pain to continue fighting. Surely, in the same way that those who try to dodge automatic fire will get hurt, people who are hit with swords/axes/spears should go down?

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen