Re: Argument overridden

From: miker19036 <miker_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:38:56 -0000

Yes, it was. Sorry, it was late.

> Well I explicitly said that it was a premise of the original post,
> and not something I found particularly convincing. I don't think
> that I would actually get to the situation described. Even if I
> allowed the direct use of swearing in this particular contest (and
> am not sure that I would) the bids would probably be seriously
> restricted (no more than 2 AP perhaps ?). But maybe you consider
> these "arbitrary restrictions" ?

Except that there's nothing in the rules that even implies limiting the bids in such a manner. The magnitude of a bid is supposed to reflect how much effort is entailed in the action, with a maximum bid being an "all or nothing" attempt. If you want to limit things based on situation, then a situational modifier on the action's roll is appropriate.

As other people have pointed out, if these disadvantages situations are to be caused by one of the contestants, their actions need to reflect the attempt.

Mike Ryan