Re: Re: Argument overridden

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:51:49 +0000

> >If it was a wrestling contest would you have the same problem ?
>>Wouldn't the change of AP's reflect gaining (or losing) holds that
>>would restrict the other character's actions ? My point is that the
>>attacks ASSUME this sort of effect and getting repeatedly worn down
>>to being on the point of losing is going to have SOME effect - what
>>else does the loss and transfer of APs MEAN in this contest ?
>
>Okay. First off, a "wrestling contest" isn't possible in HeroQuest.
>Contests are about goals, not tactics.

That's nit-picking,

>By restricting the contest to
>"wrestling" you are already making too many assumptions for my taste.

SO you don't think that there would ever be an extended contest where the players largely restricted their actions to wrestling ?

>But let's suppose that for some reason both characters are wanting to win
>at wrestling. Maybe its a sports event or similar. What other restrictions
>are there? Lets assume its similar to Judo - so holds and throws are all we
>allow - no kicking, punching, etc.

WHy bother with that. A Hero brags about his wrestling ability and some of the locals want to challenge him. Isn't that the sort of thing that SHOULD happen in an HQ game ?

>So, how does the player make a statement of intent that doesn't include "I
>grab/throw/hold/pin/whatever him"? The narrative is coming from the
>players, not the GM...

Exactly! In fact I would hope to see something of the sort in most extended contests. Not just "I try to hit him with my sword". And especially in a case like the one under discussion where I would be dubious about the use of the ability in question.

>But I think a more general fight would be a better model. The players can
>come out with actions like "I punch him in the stomach/face/wherever" and
>the GM can respond with "he's winded and has blood in his eyes". The
>actions describe how AP could be lost, the GM provides a narrative of how
>the loss is being seen, but he isn't restricting player choices arbitrarily.

But that's what I'm proposing.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_