Re: Argument Overridden

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:52:28 -0500

Hi!

On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 07:13 PM, Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:

> Paul Andrew King wrote on Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:44:48 +0000:
> > Not exactly - it's the situation as described in the narrative.  That
> > has to reflect and explain the AP situation so they are related, but
> > it's the narrative that matters.  Let me say it absolutely clearly,
> > if the action makes sense given the narrative then I have absolutely
> > no objection to it,
>
> So if I can't narrate it (I can't imagine words stopping a charging
> horse), then it's time to change the extended contest?

No! I agree that stopping a charging horse with words would be, to say the least, difficult. However, there's nothing to stop the soldier from setting his spear to receive the charge. The soldier can change tactics, too! Just because the cavalry guy decided to charge doesn't mean the soldier can't stop swearing (although he might not be able to stop, given that he's facing down a horse!) A roll of the horses 'Trample' or 'Charge' or whatever against the soldier's spear combat would be most appropriate.

> Or give up and just use simple contests :-)

Definitely not!! :-)

Camo