Re: Changing Goals Mid-Contest

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:22:18 +0000

>If that goal changes, it's at the least time to consider whether the
>assumptions underlying the contest as it stands still hold true, and if
>they egregiously don't, to consider some mechanic other than "sorry
>lads, it's still the same contest, ante up your last AP" (let us say).

I think this is the crux of the matter. If you leave changing your goal until its too late to stop you losing the contest anyway, I reckon that models reality well enough for my gaming purposes. I'd also be pretty pissed if I was the guy winning the contest up to that point. However, given that you appear to be saying basically "exceptional circumstances might occur where I (as GM) might give one side a few bonus APs (or some similar mechanism) because that would reflect the situation better/make the story more interesting" I think all we're really disagreeing over is our personal thresholds for "exceptional".

Cheers,
Graham