Re: Argument Overridden

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:18:02 -0000

> And what, pray, is so ridiculous or abuse-prone about that? We in
any
> event surely agree this is entirely possible, it's simply a matter
of
> what the best mechanic is.
>

> > taking them back to parity
>
> No, starting them off in a new contest, with new AP totals
appropriate
> to what's now being attempted, the abilities being used, and the
current
> circumstances.

Ok, I can see where Alex is coming from but I wouldn't allow it. I think this is the situation Alex sees:

Player: "I try to persuade the bouncer to let me into the club". GM: "Ok, that's an extended contest".. blah, blah.. APs.. blah Player: "Damn, I'm down to only a few APs. Ok, I accept defeat. The bouncer has prevented me from persuading him to let me in. End of contest."
GM : "Ok, your standing outside the club. What do you do next." Player: "I draw my sword and attack the bouncer."

In this situation the player has accepted defeat voluntarily, and all the consequences of said defeat, yet then attemts a new contest. I'd run a situation like this in this way:

Player: "I try to persuade the bouncer to let me into the club". GM: "Ok, the bouncer's intent is to persuade you to back down peaceably and go on your way."... blah, blah.. APs.. blah Player: "Damn, I'm down to only a few APs. Ok, I accept defeat. The bouncer has prevented me from persuading him to let me in. End of contest."
GM: "Ok, you're walkign off down the alley feeling dejected." Player "I draw my sword and go back to attack the bouncer." GM: "But the bouncer persuaded you that it wasn't worth it and to peaceably go on your way."
Player: "Ok, what do i need to do to be able to kick his arse/" GM: "Well, you could go and talk to some of your mates. Perhaps they can help renew your confidence. It's just like going to a healer to het a wound fixed, you just need to repair your wounded ego." Player: "Ok, that sound fair."

Note if the player had wanted to change to a combat part way through, he would have had to do so retaining the orriginal AP total. The bouncer is trying to pacify and cool him down, and has done very well so far, so the player's character won't have his heart fully in the combat.

Simon Hibbs