Re: Beings that break the otherworld boundaries

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:43:50 -0800 (PST)

Andrew Solovay:

> * Storm Bull/Urox/Taurox: In [HW], worshippers
> could use freely from all worlds without
> paying "misapplied worship" costs; presumably,
> in [HQ], users can concentrate their magic
> (all Uroxi are devotees, and thus, concentrated)
> while still combining feats and spirits, and
> perhaps spells

I have two significant nitpicks here.

First, Bull worshippers could not "freely" use magic from all worlds. To do so, they have to go on a HeroQuest to the Eternal Battle. I'd not call that "free", in two senses: (a) it is difficult and risky and (b) you can still only use the foreign magic that the Bull gives you, not just any old otherworld magic you happen upon.

Second, I think the normal rules about concentrating magic apply to worshippers of the Bull, except for the magic that the Bull gives them in the Eternal Battle. Since Bull worshippers will usually concentrate before they visit the Eternal Battle, they will lose all of their non-concentrated magic, and later re-acquire some from the Bull. That is different from keeping what they had before.

Obviously, my overall point is that this is a very narrow exception to the rule--far narrower than the Lunars, for example.

Chris Lemens

Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/