Re: Argument Overridden

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:17:42 -0000

> No. I'm saying that if I am entangled merely through a narrative
> event – no game mechanics involved then I can untangle myself
through
> purely narrative means. The success of the entanglement and
> disentanglement may be dependent on successful actions within a
> contest but the entanglement and disentanglement do not involve
> changes to game mechanical concepts such as skill ratings.

Ok, fair enough. This would be easier to understand though if you could give morer speicific examples. Take the 'entangled legs' situation. If I state "The chaos creature wriggles a tentacle to bind up your legs... success, you transfer 10 APs", how would you handle that if you were GMing?

Personaly I'd not be entirely happy if the character could then launch a kick attack with no penalty. Now clearly the character has not been defeated, but not applying any kind of game effects as a result of this kind of event is IMHO very unsatisfactory. It's realy this kind of situation I was trying to model better, or at least more explicitly, with Crunchy Contests, which I realy should update one of these days.

Simon Hibbs