Re: Implicit and explicit factors in Extended Contests

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:24:27 -0800

 > Of course that can be countered by pointing to the p189 example of
> > jumping over the hedge and hitting the monster. Jumping over the
> > hedge is not an action that directly advances the contest, instead it
> > is about getting around an obstacle. Nevertheless it is an action
> > and in the example the GM rules that the player cannot combine it
> > with an attack.
>
> Thus proving as much as anything else, "Everything 'Kathy' says is
> wrong.", surely. <duck>

Kathy is a bitch, *and* she's not great at the rules (even after several of us worked on her). She was much worse in earlier incarnations of HQ.

What is being explained on 189 is how to state a declaration of intent. Not how to run specific "leap and attack" action.

Going by the previous example of which this is a re-wording, the bid was merely 6 AP. Hengal has at least an 11w with spear (not sword - example bad). 6 is less than 1/4 of his (Starting) AP, so this falls into the Cautious category. For Jump *and* Hack I'd ask for a higher bid - Determined or even Reckless (Desparation stakes if necessary).

RR
- Richelieu