Re: Implicit and explicit factors in Extended Contests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 02:06:18 +0000

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 06:02:02PM +0000, Paul Andrew King wrote:
> More to the point, AP changes (other than loans) are always losses to
> one side, so all effects are expressed as a "worsening" of position.

Which to an extent (and I won't claim it's a huge extent, I think this is by and large covered by 'if it feels good, do it') is a reason _not_ to encourage (much less insist on) "I get up from the ground", "I free myself from the tentacle", etc, sorts of action, since the contest isn't about improving your own position, it's about worsening your opponent's. This is true both conceptually (you have to defeat someone/thing in order to win) and mechanically (AP totals essentially trend downwards).

Indeed, as mentioned I think by someone else, one might argue that if an action _isn't_ phrased in such a way as to make it seem as if it 'helps win' the contest, it ought to be treated as an unrelated action (if it's appropriate at all).

Cheers,
Alex.