Re: Re: Affinities and Feats at Character Generation

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:04:18 +0000

>> Since you get all abilities in a keyword when creating a character
>> (unless otherwise instructed), that would include all feats if you
>> start as a devotee. Of course, if the narrator decides, for
instance,
>> that they are starting devotees, she may limit them to just 3 per
>> affinity. I've used both methods.
>>
>> Camo
>
>Weeell, I guess but the CG rules are explicit about Initiates (it
>would have helped had they been explicit about a whole bunch of
>other things), it says you start out as an initiate and if your
>Narrator agrees you can spend 3 points to up your membership level
>to Devotee. I'd like to hear an 'official' ruling from somewhere...

That's about as official as it's going to get until we're done the FAQ. Roderick is heading the creation of the FAQ and he's the one who first said the above when it was last asked...

>If those 3 points get you every single feat - something that would
>cost a bag full of Hero Points during play, every player would jump
>at the chance to kick off as a Devotee...

As Bryan stated, there are trade-offs to becoming a devotee so it's not all unlimited power. In addition, those points you get in character creation are pretty darn powerful anyway. After all, you can raise affinities 1 for 1 while it's 3 for 1 with hero points. Even with mundane abilities they're pretty powerful since you don't have to worry about the increased cost of raising an ability by more than one (it costs a minimum of 10 hp to raise an ability by +4 in one shot where 10 starting points will raise it by 10).

Camo