Re: HeroQuest: Basic Equipment?

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:02:21 -0000

> Generally they all give modifiers. +1 to combat for leather
armor,
> +3 for mail, +1 for a shield, +5 for a two handed sword, etc.
> (interesting munchkin tip: you end up one point better off using
> good two handed weapon (sword, spear, etc give you +5)), than you
do
> using a good one handed weapon and shield (sword and shield, spear
> and shield, etc give +3+1=+4)).

But you can have a fine sword and a fine shield (+4 +2 = 6).

> But it is important to keep in mind the circumstances. If someone
> jumps on your back and tries to pin you to the ground, neither
shield
> nor armor (nor obviously most weapons) should give a bonus. This
> means that you do have to be able to do some on the fly addition.
> (which I wouldn't think should be a problem, but I've seen some
> people just shut down when required to do so).

I dont bother, once the players have worked out their points I rarely ask them to rework them (mainly because they will have drunk more than 2 glasses by then and you end up with some strange results...)

> Note that in HW when everything was edges, you could just ignore
> edges when equipment was roughly the same. For HQ this doesn't
apply
> if there are unequal numbers of followers, or followers with
unequal
> equipment, as the bonusses apply to them as well. (i.e. if you
have
> two warrior followers (warrior 17), each with leather armor,
> shield,and spear, then they each give you 22 AP (17+1+1+3).

I assumed that with followers, 17 was all inclusive. Going to the trouble of equiping a follower seems overly tiresome, and due to the almost complete destruction of the economic system (by using WLs) doesnt make much sense... essentially you should just rate your followers around your wealth. A follower of a normal person gives +2, a rich person +3, a very wealthy person +4. etc... actually there is nothing wrong with that idea...

Bear in mind that a follower is essentially a mercenary, and as such there is no reason to assume that George the Mercenary will be George the next time you go out, it might be Fred the Mercenary. George has taken your equipment and buggered off...

Sidekicks I allow individualism and variation.