Re: Re: Help with Feats please

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:34:31 +0000

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:24:40PM +0100, Julian Lord wrote:
> > [DD's fairly straightforward rewrite of p118 on "improvising" feats]
> But that isn't true. HQ makes it pretty clear that only concetrated
> magic users can use magic directly (magic items excepted).

Firstly, there's nothing to say that initiates can't be concentrated; they just don't _have_ to be. But more importantly, this restriction only applies to _common_ magic (see the now-notorious p104, and p108).

> I think you're confusing HW and HQ. The important point
> is that "no-one" "ever" uses feats directly ; they use affinities.

HQ, p118: "A hero cannot use an affinity as an active ability. [...] An initiate _can_ improvise any named feat in the affinity [...] as an active ability with a -10 penalty (-5 if he has concentrated his magic use) [...]"

Emphasis HQ's, ellipses only to save my fingers.

Cheers,
Alex.