Re: Re: Argument Overridden

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 05:09:30 +0000

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:01:16PM -0000, simon_hibbs2 wrote:
> Ok, fair enough. My point is that if you want to start a new contest,
> and are losing the old contest, then you have to forfeit the old
> contest first. You can't just leave it hanging.

Well, in reverse order, no probably not if you can reasonably help it; but not necessarily. There might be consequences other than simply losing, as previously exemplified.

> In the 'nut the lawspeaker' example suppose you're in a case over the
> ownership of a sheep. If you drop the sheep ownership contest to nut
> the lawspeaker that's fine IMHO. You forfeit the sheep owning contest
> and start a combat one, but nutting the lawspeaker isn't going to win
> you any sheep.

Very unlikely to, that was pretty much explicit. It's unlikely to be as formal as "I forfeit my suit. Thank the court for its time... *whack!", though. Much more a case of "I go ahead and do it", and poor narrator has the job of tidying the resultant mess into neat little boxes marked "contest"...