Re: Magic Items and Secrets

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:17:47 -0800

Dr Pachyderm

>If the PCs find a mighty item, should their
>ability with it automatically start at 13? I wouldn't do it in this
>case, but if I wanted to, could I have them find, say, a Bag of Winds
>that has the ability Trap Sylph 5W2? And would they then be able to
>cement it for one hero point?

In my games, newly found items would almost always start at 13. Yes, it's a powerful Bag of Winds, but that doesn't mean I know exactly how to use it, like that trick of tying it so the winds don't leak back out, or hold it so it doesn't just flap around in the sylph breeze. The number on the sheet doesn't necessarily reflect the power of the item, but how well the owner is attuned with it. (This is analogous to your relationship with an ally or patron: the number on the sheet has to do with your "using" the supporting character, not that character's power.)

My major exception is heroquesting. Items attained this way could easily be more powerful.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html