Re: What's wrong with Kathy??

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:13:46 -0000

>>Primarily, I was concerned about the GM in the HeroQuest book's
examples named Kathy. She doesn't seem to get much love on the forums and I was wondering why that was.<<

Worries me too. I've been running Hero Wars/Heroquest for a fair bit of time now, and I like Kathy's style. Probably explains some of the pained looks on my player's faces ;-)

The yes, but... can be difficult to get right. Sometimes your too harsh, sometimes your too lenient, sometimes you miss rules and wing it. That's true of all games. I think some folks think that Kathy is a cruel narrator. But that's a choice. I think a lot of narrators in HQ come across as a bit cruel because one of your main jobs is adjuducating player creativity and trying to reward originality without setting precedents that later bite you. All games have this to some extent, and all narrators learn by doing.