Re: spare the extended contests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:16:56 -0800

Big Black Cat

>I understand what you're saying about running too many Extended
>Contests in a session, or trying to fit every conflict into an
>Extended Contest. But could you elaborate on how using "magical
>abilities (or any ability, really) in a much more direct way"
>enhanced play? Perhaps a before-after example. I'm fairly new to
>HeroQuest and I don't quite understand what you mean.

I read into this that, because magical contests are harder to describe, you should use a simple contest for magic whenever practical. It sounded like they were avoiding using magic for other than augments BECAUSE it was hard to describe. Switching to more simple contests brought active magic back into their game.

As for extended contests, I have nothing against them, especially because they usually don't last all that long anyway.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html