Re: Stacking Magic - and mundane abilities?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:57:32 -0600

>From: "Kevin P. McDonald" <paul_mcdonald_at_...>

>Now this isn't such a terrible problem - I adjust the villains as
>needed. My problem is that the story comes to a screeching halt while
>they scour their character sheets looking for another +1 augment. I may
>need to become a bit more discriminating about what abilities I allow as
>"always on" auto-augments.

An easier solution, and a better one, IMO: make them work for their Augments. Rule that for every augment after the first (give em one for free) the player wants to include, he has to narrate something that explains how the augment is working in this case. Not jsut an explanation of something Improvisational, but actual narration. So, if the character has Determined as an Ability, then he has to say something like, "Just like that time Voznor walked across the burning wastes to see his family again, he now Determinedly wades through his foes." That sort of thing. Then give them big improv penalties for weak narrations (or bonuses for good ones). Enough so that it's not worthwhile to try a poor narration.

The point is that play doesn't have to stop. What happens when I use this is that players take turns scanning and then "queue up" behind the current narrator to deliver their narrations in order to get their augments. When one finishes, I just announce the bonus, and then point to the next player. Even when there's only one player, the non-participating players tend to scan the active player's sheet for them, and suggest augments as soon as then finish with the last one.

It's enough of an effort that players don't stalk down every last ounce of effectiveness in every case, just the ones that they can instantly see being important to the narrative. Or, rather, the scouring starts to match the importance of the Conflict, which is appropriate.

Mike

Great deals on high-speed Internet access as low as $26.95. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)