Re: rules

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:11:24 -0700

Alain asked

> 1/ Does we have to take into account the modifiers to the target number
> before calculating the starting AP in a contest, or does that only apply to
> followers ? (ie Hero only start with their full target number AP,
> notwithstanding any modifier ?)

Modifiers are included (p.129).

> 2/ Hoe does the Narrator determine the stake each round in extended contest
> for natural obstacle, suc as strong current, cliff, ...

It's one of those things that you'll get a feeling for after a bit. One default bet is half what you have, less one (to try to keep from going out of the contest).

> 3/ Can a hero get more AP than its starting level by way of transfer or
> lending, or is it limited anyway to its starting target number ? And in
> group extended contest, what is that limit : the hero own starting AP's or
> the pool starting APs ?

There's no limit.

> 4/ I didn't had a chance to run a combat, but the trading wounds system
> allowing 7AP into a wound does not appear very effective for the winner, as
> even if it is cumulative, it is only about a 5% advantage/disadvantage each
> time. Not enough to change the course of the battle IMO.

We did use this rule in playtest. If you're fighting a really big nasty monster, you might want to reduce its ability to hit *you* (or more likely, your friends).

(We never used it for its longer-term consequences, but that's another reason you might want to.)

Wulf, you're using blank lines! Thanks!

Michael Cule

> And in 'straight' Hero Wars the system means you are never at the stage
> of knowing that you're in deep trouble on a personal level.

That's not what we felt on some of our heroquests... when you're facing some big nasty and you've just used up your last hero point merely to survive...

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein