Re: An 'undefined magical item' variant rule.

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:33:46 -0600

>From: "Bryan" <bethexton_at_...>
>
>When you have an undefined item, and define an ability for it, you
>may either decide that the item is now fully defined, or you may
>cement that ability with a hero point, but still have undefined
>further abilities in it.

That makes sense. It balances with the normal rules. That is, it only costs one to add an Ability that makes sense in terms of events in play. The object becomes the rationale, and limits the choice based on what's appropriate for the object. In that way its no different than being in a village where certain training is available. Further, like the village, circumstances can change. In the case of the item, it can be taken or even destroyed. And ends when "pre-paying" for the next Ability ends.

So, in effect, the item is just a selected "special effect" for the ability to select abilities. This would imply that a player can pay a HP at any point to select some criteria for selection that would make later selection cost only the one HP itself. Basically, you're preventing the double cost from occuring by selecting earlier some limited area from which you'll be able to select later.

That's very cool, and I'll be using it in general.

Mike

Set yourself up for fun at home! Get tips on home entertainment equipment, video game reviews, and more here.
http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx