Re: alternative wounding rules

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:08:20 -0800

soru

>I've never really been happy with the rules for taking and giving
>wounds in the middle of extended contests (i.e. trade 7AP for a -1).

I instigated those rules because I wanted a way for a hero to win a contest without being unscathed (IIRC I found an example of Kari fighting in Njal's Saga; he took a wound but still killed his opponent).

Robin Laws's answer was admittedly not perfect (7 AP might not be appropriate for games with multiple masteries), but it does offer a tradeoff: should I try to hurt my opponent, or go for victory by reducing his AP?

>If you want to explicitly injure an opponent (instead of the default
>playing to win and not caring too much either way about whether the
>opponent gets hurt in the process), you describe action and stake APs
>as normal. As always, the AP bid must be appropriate to the action,
>and so could be as low as 1AP for firing an arrow up to 40AP to leap
>onto the head of a dinosaur and plunge your sword into its eye.
>
>If you lose, you take the normal result from the extended contest
>table. If you win, opponent gains a new ability, at value X/2, X, 2X
>or 3X, depending on level of victory.

So is this in place of taking the AP? I bid 10 AP to Wound, and if I lose, I'm out 10 AP, but if I win, my opponent has a temporary (negative) augment? Is this cumulative (i.e. if I do it again, I can add another 10 to the foe's "Wounded" ability)?

--

David Dunham