Re: Followers (was Re: Where's the traffic?)

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:56:49 -0800

Gerald

>recently had a situation where my players Heroes were leading a group of
>narrator characters in combat (see "Seven Samurai"). Should Heroes be
>allowed to employ these types of narrator character alongside whom they
>are fighting in the same way they could actual retainers and sidekicks?
>I mean as a source of augments or APs?

I don't see why not. If the story put them under the Hero's command, then the standard follower rules are by far the simplest way to deal with them.

>I let them do it, but I've since had second thoughts. My reservation is
>that the hero point cost of a follower and the attendent relationships
>represents a level of experience with one another that allows Hero and
>Follower to closely coordinate their actions and this wouldn't be the
>case with more temporary friendly narrator characters.

I think it gives them a permanent ability (I suspect in your example I would *not* allow the narrator characters to be cemented as followers). I would assume that the story has given the Hero a success in his initial roll. In my experience, you seldom make more than one Relationship roll per follower per game, so it's not likely to make a difference, but you could always assume that the Relationship is at the default value of 6 if a complicated change in plans comes up.

--

David Dunham