RE: Re: alternative wounding rules

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:47:00 -0600

>From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
>
>Mike:
>
>That's actually a huge mess. It means that most wounds have no effect
>(the next 9 wounds in your example would be augmenting Arm Gash up to
>24).
>
>Also, I don't like the idea of double augments -- augmenting a skill
>so you can augment a skill just feels wrong. It's too indirect, and
>seems needlessly complex.
>
>It seems to me that it would be simpler to accumulate a single Wounded
>value.

I sorta agree. The way I see it, AP done to the opponent would stack if, well, they would stack. That is, if I hit you in the Arm, and then the leg, I wouldn't stack them (And the double augmenting thing is only theoretical - as you point out it won't matter in most cases - though it's available for those cases where it would matter). However, if the person took "Bleeding" on two conscutive blows, then I would stack them. In fact, as GM, I'd assign them (no player assignations or they'll get all gamey with this) in parts potentially. The player says that he wants to use 15 AP to wound with a slash to the leg? Well I can call that Leg Laceration 8 and Bleeding 7. Another hit to a leg would maybe add to both, depending on what hit.

The really cool part about this is that these wounds can be addressed separately. The bleeding I can probably put a stop to with a "First Aid" sort of roll and some bandages. The laceration part will take a lot longer to go away, and probably only be helped along the way by the appropriate healing magic. What I really, really, like is that now you can break healing magic down into smaller divisions. Instead of Heal Hurt, you'll have "Mend Cut", or "Restore Guts" for more powerful magic. "Reatach Limb"? Loads of possibilities.

Mike

Our best dial-up offer is back. Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6 months _at_ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup