RE: alternative wounding rules

From: Nicolas Hughes <nicolas.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:30:55 -0000

Message: 18
   Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:30:33 -0000
   From: "flynnkd2" <flynnkd_at_...>
Subject: Re: alternative wounding rules

>The current rules are all about defeating APs... to win you reduce
>APs to zero or less. 7APs for a wound is entriely a distraction from
>your goal and a waste of time... I cannot imagine why anyone would
>use that effect unless they were playing with their foe... my
>players totally ignore it.

I can't recall anyone using that rule either. Replacing it with the more flexible and colourful system would in my opinion create some, perhaps unusual, situations where using it would be worthwhile.

Lets take as an example that well known scenario The Garhound Contest.

Perhaps one of the players characters fancies his chances in the wrestling but is worried about that strong-looking Uroxi. Lets say he manages to unseat the Uroxi in the earlier armed contest - he might just decide to take his opportunity to leave the Uroxi with a wound that will leave him at a disadvantage in the wresting. In doing so he risks losing what should be a winning position in the current contest but if he's got a large side-bet on the wrestling then perhaps that is a price worth paying.

The key difference between the proposed rule and the existing rule in this case would be the ability to inflict a wound more serious and specific that "hurt". Hurts are easy to heal and tend to get healed, if you want to introduce this sort of element to the story then the existing hurt mechanism is not really helpful.

>So as it stands ALL my melees end with one side defeated at various
>levels, and the winning side COMPLETELY unscratched, which seems a
>bit wrong.

Quite. The new rule would at least give a losing opponent the chance to inflict some pain on the victors - even once they know they are going to lose. In fact I can see a spiteful "I may die but they will never forget me" last attack being a possible staple tactic of vicous opponents down to their last few AP...

"He is on his knees, viciously he hooks his axe around the back of your knee and you feel the pain as cartilege and sinew split. <some further dice rolling> Despite the hindrance of your wounded leg you easily smash down on him and leave him a motionless body upon the ground."

>Your suggestion of allowing explicit wounding attacks and effects
>does the same thing... ie it distracts from the whole purpose of
>reducing APs to win the melee... it is colour to the system, and
>again my players will ignore it.

Fine, some rules would always be more used than others. The fact that the current rule seems to get so little use is part of the reason why I'd like to see it replaced.

--
Nic

This e-mail and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. They may contain information which is covered by legal, professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not copy the e-mail or the attachments, or use them for any purpose or disclose their contents to any other person. To do so may be unlawful. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us as soon as possible and delete the message and attachments from all places in your computer where they are stored.

Although we have scanned this e-mail and any attachments for viruses, it is your responsibility to ensure that they are actually virus free.