RE: Re: alternative wounding rules

From: Michael Bowman <bowman_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:39:11 -0800

I really like this proposal a lot. However, it seems to me that to follow it through we need to replace the Dying|Injured|Impaired|Hurt results at the conclusion of contests as well. A few posters have mentioned basing it on the negative APs, or the starting APs, or else the APs of the bid that knocked the character down below 0. To focus, however, I'd like to think about what you'd set the ability's level at on the loss of a simple contest.

You could base it on the ability that caused the loss with multiples like .5x, 1x, 2x, 3x (to miror the extended contest chart). For example, a marginal defeat gets you a flaw with a level equal to half the ability that caused your loss, minor defeats equal to, and so on. Thus, if I was completely defeated by someone using an ability at 5w, I would have a flaw at 15w3, which seems rather harsh, but in the old system you'd be dying, so it doesn't seem too out of line.

If this seems reasonable, I'd use the same system for extended contests. If you end up at -15 AP then you suffered a minor defeat and gain a flaw at the level of the ability that inflicted the defeat.

Thoughts?

Michael Bowman