Re: Re: alternative wounding rules

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:31:47 +0000

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:01:25 -0000, you wrote:

>--- In HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwartz"
><raconteurx_at_m...> wrote:
>
>> Gritty = harsh, Simon. Do you want a system that leaves the victors
>> in a combat unscathed or not? Why create a system which complicates
>> the matter unduly when a simple solution is available?
>
>I don't think the option to exchange 7APs for a wound is unduly
>complicated. The wounding rules currently under discussion don't seem
>very complicated either.
>
>If anything, always mandating that the players must keep trach of
>wounds in combat seems to me to be the more complicated approach.
>It's certainly more complicated than running combats by default
>without incidental wounding along the way.

I don't think that the issue is 7APs for a wound is complicated to be honest, more that it's kind of vanilla and counter productive.

The big problem is that to elect to leave your foe with 7 extra AP which you could have taken off him is quite often enough to ensure that he whups you. And if he's wounded but you're whupped, then you're still whupped, and to be honest with skills in the 10W range being reduced to 9W doesn't really make much difference. If a Wound dropped you to 50% skill or suchlike then it might make enough difference to matter.

I like the idea of acquiring a flaw, but I don't think we've yet heard the right way of going about it.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac