Chanelling Jedi

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:25:47 -0600

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
>
>Like everything else in HQ, the rule is : "the story comes first, rules
>second". Adding abilities in the middle of play is fine - if its supported
>by (or supports) the story.

Hmmm. Probably something for another day, but I don't buy either this (or YGMV, for that matter). I think both ideas are a dodge. That is, they may have some truth, but they're not an excuse for a good answer.

Fortunately you always follow up with good answers. :-)

>I've been staying out of the wounding debate
>(because I don't think it's really all that necessary).

Truth be told, neither do I; I love HQ as is. But then it's my (and others') nature to tinker with successful systems. Why tinker with a system that's a mess? Uh, don't be surprised if you see this stuff in a new game sometime....

>I would have no
>problem if a player decided *on his own* that a 20AP hit left some sort of
>mark or scar or even "took off me hand, it did" and asked for a special
>ability to reflect that. Or, for a less combative example, that a 20AP hit
>during wooing left him weepy and disconsolate enough to take an ability
>like
>"Easily Moved to Tears" or some such.

I'll take that as tacit support of the idea that if one were using a system like I proposed that it would make sense to allow this by rule. Good. :-)

Good call again on the actual use of the hand in the story. I was thinking in terms of it being a game played and departing at the point of the hand being attached (how I'd have played it). But, yes, as "played" there was no change in Ability.

>The scene with Darth is more a
>roleplaying/storytelling thing than a rules one, though I could see using
>"Relationship: Father" as the augment to "Lightsaber" here.

I don't even know what a "roleplaying/storytelling" thing is - when playing with a system I never fail to use the system. If I thought the system couldn't handle absolutely every situation, I wouldn't use it at all. That's not to say that I resolve every shoe-tieing incident with a roll. Just that the rule is that you should use the system when the results are dramatic. And, to me, that doesn't cease to be true when things are extremely dramatic - it's more true.

OK, sorry, rant over.

>Mechanically, I'd say that in the scene where Luke lops off Darth's hand,
>he
>rolls well and defeats Darth by a goodly margin.

>Darth didn't spend his final action on getting back into the fight, so he
>doesn't get back to positive AP, and thus his physical defeat stands - in
>fact, he's been taken to complete defeat by that Parting Shot, so his death
>is well within the rules (and is pretty much narratively pre-destined,
>anyway).

Wow, that was more than the scope of the thread, but it sure was fun. :-)

Mike

Winterize your home with tips from MSN House & Home. http://special.msn.com/home/warmhome.armx