Re: First Draft: Currency based Resolution

From: gpili <gpili_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:09:18 -0000

Although I think the idea of trading APs for flaws is great, the biggest 2 problems I have with the rules as you have written them are:

(1) Adding a new term to the rules ("Result Points") and

(2) Giving the *loser* of the AP contest the choice of whether to lose AP or take a wound.

I would simply continue to use APs as the extended contest currency, and ensure that losing APs means that you have either lost ground or lost ground AND taken a wound.

My take is that if you have stated as the goal of your contest "kill or wound my opponent" that wounding will result as part of the losing AP process. Rather than making this a choice of the loser, simply state than any AP loss of 7 or more (optionally 10 or more) results in a the loser gaining a flaw/wound equal to the AP loss, as described by the GM. Whether or not a wound is inflicted, the AP loss occurs. That is, it does not matter whether you have taken a wound or not -- an AP loss is always an AP loss.

To be operfectly clear:
An AP loss of 1-6 is is simply an AP loss, reflecting gaining a better position, maneuvering, etc.
An AP loss of 7+ is an AP loss PLUS a flaw/wound as described by the GM.

I like the idea of gaining an ability as a result of a transfer of AP to another player. For example, a transfer of 13 APs from opponent 1 to opponent 2 would result in Opponent 1 taking a flaw/wound and losing the APs, while opponent 2 would gain, for example, an Outmaneuver And Wound opponent ability of 13, which he could choose to cement after the content for 1 Hero Point. In the current battle, he'd get the +1 bonus for his fight if it applied, and later on (if it was cemented), the ability could be used as a +1 augment to all his or her deadly battles.

The final results of AP loss would work as they do in the current rules for the loser, but wounds on either side would continue until they healed over time or were magically treated.

I didn't really understand the Conflict Results of the draft rules you wrote. Couldn't this be simpler and just use the straight AP loss or gain to determine the flaw/wound or the new (temporary or permanent) ability?

As far as the Simple Contest use of APs, I like the idea if the resolution can be determined after one roll of the dice. I would think the option of doing it without APs should be available if it doesn't add anything to the narrative.

Gil