edges/handicaps & simple contests & miscellanea

From: Steve Lieb <steve_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 12:30:55 -0500

Sorry if these have already been gone over, but could someone briefly let me know:
1) edges/handicaps seem to be used regularly in the contest of extended contests. What are their impacts/effects in regards simple contests?

2) simple group contests - as I understand it, it's group a vs. group b. take the lowest roll of each, +3 for each failure in the group, +6 for each critical failure in the group, yes? wouldn't it make sense to -3 for each success and -6 for each critical success, too? As it is, then a "group" of 1 has a better chance of success than a "group" of 40. Certainly, the group of 40 is going to have good odds of having a "1" as their roll, assuming average skills of 12 (just as a random example) they are going to also have 16 failures and 2 critical failures, for a total value of 61. No matter what the single guy rolls, he wins. What am I missing?

3) On a complete tangent, I like the grievous wounds rule for combat, with the AP lost PLUS the wound effect. I think it's a nice compromise and makes the extended combat scarier, even for the winner.

4) Question for people in general: you have the typical roleplaying "strong guy with two handed sword, vs. nimble thief with dagger". Certainly there's the class difference for weapons, but if the thief has "Agile" or "Nimble" - would you give him an improv penalty?

Sorry for the shotgun of questions, but I'm catching up on a lot of emails...

-Steve