Re: Armour

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:29:18 -0800

> Christian wondered:
>
> >Armour as a special ability.
> >I think you all know that scene from The Lord Of The Rings movie. The
> battle
> >with the cavetroll in moria.
> >Frodo has this mithril-chainshirt. How would you play this ?
> >Just giving the shirt a high bonus doesnt seem apropiate to me .
> >Maybe the shirt as an ability?
> >I m especially curious how Roderick would do it....;-)
>
> Well I'm not Roderick:-)

Well, if Oliver isn't Rodrick, then who i.... oh, wait.

Hmm, frankly it looked like Frodo's player forgot about the shirt during the fight, and used it as a Final Action to get back in the game...

Scene - the house of the Narrator, a quiet, studious fellow with a penchant for complex, moody, atmospheric games. A group of nine players are huddled around the table with all the lights out, only candles providing illumination....

A titanic battle is happening on the table - beautifully painted orcs and trolls are faced by a collection of Legos, various unpainted lead figures, and a Cheeto (representing that scion of Mirkwood, Legolas the Elf). Frodo was on the wrong end of a Crit-Fumble by the troll and is down to -25 AP. Eveyone else is busy with goblins and the troll.

Frodo's Player: "Oh, wait, I have 'Mithral Shirt 10w3', can I use that somehow?" Sam's player: "Grrr. why didn't you use that *before*, when the troll skewered you? Geeze, why do *I* have to be this idiot's flunky? Can't I follow someone else instead of this airhead? Gandalf, can you release me from that promise you made me make?" Narrator: "Shut up Sam. Okay Frodo, you're all alone over there in the corner, if you want to use your mithral shirt as a Final Action I'll let you. You're down to -25 from that troll, so that's your resistace." [Roll, Success-success, but Frodo rolls better]. Narrator: "Okay, you all rush over to Frodo and find that he is winded and bruised and in incredible pain, but still alive!" Legolas's player: "Hey, can *I* have a mithral shirt too? Look, I haven't used up all my build points..." Everyone" "*groan*". Aragorn's player to Boromir's player: "Geeze, he's *such* a munchkin. Who introduced him to the group anyway?"

but I would be hesitamnt to make it work as an
> ability as this might result in a character having two actions in a round.
> I think since it's such a rare thing I'd give it a big bonus AND a bump
down
> "ability". This would give it a chachet regular armour would never have.

I'd play it as a ability-giving item, with a big ability rating. The player would only pay 1 HP to cement it (it's a gift from his uncle, and I'd certainly allow players to loan or give equipment to each other). The player would have the benefit of the ability ("Mithril Shirt 10w3, or whatever), and could use it as a "mere" augment, or as a distinct ability.

Special effects:
The shirt might allow the wearer to ignore the "bad effects" of a defeat if used succesfully in a Final Action, or maybe the worst would be a Hurt. It might allow a Final Action even if at Dying (no final action allowed normally). Or Both effects. It does not count as a penalty to swimming or when carried off by gryphons (page 79), because it is so light.

I think that it is important (and potent!) enough that *only* using it as a augment is a waste.

Mike:
>Note that this *wouldn't* make sense for use as a final action as these
>rarely give the character AP back (need a transfer) on a success,

Nope, *any* success gives you AP back equal to the ability used (page 74).

RR
- Richelieu