Re: Armour

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:30:49 -0500

At 12:25 PM 12/22/2003 -0600, Mike Holmes wrote:
>Anyhow, I think that the rating should be used for whatever makes sense. If
>it's a trading deal, then abosolutely the shirt's rating should work like
>wealth. In general, this makes for a great "economic" system for the game.
>What's something worth? What's it's rating? Or make a Bargain roll, and
>augment with the ability. Or vice versa. How hard is that Mithril shirt to
>destroy? What's it's rating? What if I hit someone with it? What's it's
>rating with a -40 Improv Penalty (still a better weapon than nothing if
>rated at 10w3)?

         But an item's worth and its value as an practical example of its class are not necessarily linked. A Yelmalian might have a suit of gilded leather armor fashioned to look like solid gold plate -- it is an excellent work of craftsmanship, and has a cost of, say, 10W2. On the other hand, it only protects as leather armor for a +1 augment (giving it an Armor 10 value). You now have two values for one (probably important, but still) piece of equipment. If our Yelmalian wants to augment his Look Imposing ability with his glorious armor, should he add +5 to his skill? +1? Some other value (just because it cost 10W2, that doesn't mean every clack is on display)? You might have to take every piece of equipment as a sidekick, just to account for all the abilities.... ("This is my sword, Widowmaker, and my shield, Block All, my bow, Shoots Far, and my arrows, Eyepiercer, Birdkiller, Swiftflight, um, Ted, Mary, John....")

Peter Larsen