Re: Armour

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:18:29 -0000

I think that, just as a human follower implicitly has the usual human abilities to walk, talk, run, etc, _normal_ uses of an object can be assumed. So gilded leather would have a rating of "look good" (or whatever) at some high value. As an aside, it would have the mundane ability to be leather armor. Just as a magical sword that can cut spirits can still be used as a perfectly good sword.

As for economic value, I think that is always what the market will bear. I don't think you can make a blanket statement about the economic value of anything being tied into its rating.

Just by-the-by, I think the proper ability of Frodo's mithril shirt, the way it was used in the movie anyway, was "survive battle" at some obscene level. So it is not all that useful except when survival is in doubt, however it would still give the usual benefits of a chain shirt (+3 on appropriate conditions).

--Bryan