HeroQuest on Gor

From: warhoonslayer <warhoonslayer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 02:38:22 -0000

I have been sitting on the HeroQuest rules for a while now and have not gotten a chance to actually use it as of yet. I have also been turning over the idea of setting a game on John Norman's Counter-  using the Basic Roleplaying System and even wrote up a small treatment but didn't like where it was going and gave it up. Now after reading the HeroQuest rules I would like to try them for my Gorean adventures but I would like some help and/or advice with a few issues.
  1. Gor is NOT a magical place. This means that about half the rules are thrown out. Characters can have Skills, Abilities, Relationships, Flaws, and Followers as long as they are not magical in nature. But, is this enough? Do you think that the HeroQuest system, stripped of Magical Abilities, Spells, Feats, Magical Items, Cults, ect. is robust enough for play?
  2. Goream Keywords. Looking over the list of Occupational Keywords it seems they could easily be ported right over to Gor. A Cavalry Soldier is a Cavalry Soldier. But Homeland Keywords might cause a problem. As I'm sure you know central Gor is composed of sime fifty enemy city-states as well as nomadic tribes to the south, vikinglike barbarians to the north, etc. Since each city-state shares the same basic culture, should one Homeland Keyword cover all of the central cities of Gor, or maybe each city (Ar, Port Kar, Cos, Ko-Ro- Ba, etc.) have its own Homeland Keyword? It could go either way.
  3. Caste Keywords? Are there any exapmles of Caste Keywords or would these be subsumed under Occupational Keywords?
  4. Common Magic Keywords = "Heroic Feats" Yes I am getting a little confusing with the terminology, bear with me for a second. I was thinking as a solution to the issue number 1 above, I could allow players to choose from a list of what I call "Heroic Feats" that act just like common magic keywords (they could only act as augments) but call them "Heroic Feats" giving characters a little more depth.

Any advice/questions/comments would be appreciated.