Re: Re: Equipment Bonuses in Combat

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:47:42 +0000

Hi!

>>>That is probably quite reasonable, but I do find it a
>>>bit troublesome that equipment counts for more than
>>>magic augments. Shouldn't a 10w2 magic protection be
>>>worth rather more than a simple shield (even if it is
>>>a big and thick one)?
>>>
>>>This is a general observation, on finding magic bonuses
>>>rather measly.
>>
>> Well, that's a "Magic bonus without trying". If you want a bigger bonus, you
>> are free to roll it...
>
>That's rather my point. A guy in chainmail, with a sword and
>shield gets a +7 (more if you up the shield bonus). Getting
>the _same_ from a magic augment requires beating a 15w
>resistance, quite tough.

The guy with the equipment is getting that +7 from a combination of 3 sources. If the magic is coming from 3 sources then even at a rating of 17 each, he gets +6. To get a +9 he only has to beat a 15 resistance.

Someone else already made the comment that equipment was generally much better than magic in the old RQ days. The best that a protection spell could do for you was stop 4 points of damage while your average shield stopped 12. Even with automatic augments magic is much better in HQ.

Camo