Re: Augment Returns (was Equipment Bonuses in Combat)

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:54:50 -0000

Me like!

Another point to remember is that rolled augments may be used more commonly to augment others. (that is, if you interpret the wording of the rules to imply that most augments of others are somewhat risky and need roles. That is a debatable position, many groups may allow routine auto-augments for this too).

Your change would affect this too, but overall I think it would make augmenting others more effective, which I think is overall to the good. That is to say, when you have to roll, taking a not too hard target gives you a better return under this system. This should make players think harder about how they can help each other, which is something that I like to see.

One thing to remember is that there is some bizarre behavior about ratio of marginal to minor successes (or failures) for the same spread between numbers, depending on whether or not there is a mastery break between them. In other words, 15 beats 5 something like 67% to 33%, but with mostly marginal victories. But 5W beats 15 less often, 54% to 66% but with a higher number of minor versus marginal victories. So having marginal and minor victories reward you the same way does penalize certain sets of target numbers over others, whereas, althoug it is harder to quantify, if you win less often but get more "good wins" it helps balance that behavior out.

(FYI, my simple contest odds calculating spreadsheet is in the files section of the group somewhere)

-Bryan