Augment Returns (was Equipment Bonuses in Combat)

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:34:06 -0500

I liked Mike Holmes's analysis, but there are two parts I'm not sure about ...

> So, what does this mean for the player looking at variable augments as an

> option? Well, it means that they're longshots to produce any benefit at
all
> in most cases. Now, longshots are often attempted in HQ because they're
fun,
> and you can use a HP to bump to success when neccessary. The problem here
is
> that it's senseless to use a HP to assure a level of an augment. Because
> that same Hero Point will be much more effective in adding 20 to your
score
> in the original conflict (bumping is the equivalent of doing this).

The HP only boosts a single roll, the augment boosts a skill throughout a contest and possibly longer. So if you're expecting to use the skill many times or preparing a long-duration blessing, using the HP on the augment might be the better bet.

> That may sound contradictory to what I've been saying above, but
> if you have variable augment provide superior payouts, players will never

> use the auto augments.

'never' is too strong. You can construct rare situations where the gamble is better mathematically because the payoffs are skewed, more common are the players who choose to gamble even though the expected (in the mathematical sense) result is worse. If people always made choices according to mathematical expectations there would be a lot fewer lottery tickets bought.

Andrew