RE: Augment Returns

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:48:39 +0000

>Does anyone know why the design decision was made to change that chart? Was
>it for added simplicity, or did it also address some problem with the
>expected value bing too high somehow with the original chart?

The charts aren't all that different. The original chart was not slanted, either. I actually suggested slanting it so that a marginal defeat was the same as a tie (no effect) but it was shot down for simplicity's sake. The argument given against was that with auto augments (something not in HW), someone who didn't want to risk a marginal defeat had a safe "out".

>Another problem is that if I augment my Strength with my Size in order to
>get a big augment to the original combat roll, can I then use the Size again
>in the original contest? Or has it already been accounted for? If so, then
>I'd prefer to just use it in the original contest, because the return is
>much higher. It seems to me that anything that's applicable to augment the
>augmentor ability is also eligible as an augmentor itself.

Only the ability being used in the contest can be augmented, not an augmenting ability. Of course, that could be a house rule but I'd advise against it. With your example above, you'd be 'double dipping' which really doesn't make sense, if you think about it. As far as only augmenting an augment, how long do you really want to take to finally get to roll? :-) Now, it's entirely appropriate for a narrator to tell someone that an augmenting ability is *not* entirely appropriate and so give it a penalty before figuring out the augment but this should also be used sparingly.

Camo