Re: Digest Number 1418

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:29:37 -0800

"Argrathi"

>Hero's Book doesn't have an index!!!

While I'm ordinarily a fan of indices, I think this is the correct decision. Hero's Book is supposed to be a gentle introduction for new players, not a massive reference work.

>The new examples in HB are
>infomative. I learnt some new stuff (I can concentrate a theist as
>an initiate and improvise feats at -5 woohoo).

HQ.118.

>The feats,
>affinities, common magic, concentration rules are very confusing but
>i'm finally getting a grasp.

Yeah, it's probably the most complicated part of the game, but given the nature of Glorantha, it's hard to complain that magic is the most detailed area... To reduce my own confusion when I was reading it, I created a summary
<http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/hqMagicSummary.html>.

>If I kill a heortling raider and rob his common magic charms do they
>work for me?.

Perhaps, but definitely not past the end of the session. And I think you'd have to come up with a really good justification why they would work for you -- a charm "can be used by any member of the tradition or practice" [HQ.137].

>Do I have to go to temple to recharge my common magic spell talismans?

Common magic doesn't originate from the god world, so a temple could not help. (Besides the fact that theist temples don't have anything to do with spells...)

>Do you get common magic blessings and curses?

Aren't most of them blessings (Protect From Broo) or curses (e.g. Attack Enemy Spirit) already?

--

David Dunham