Armor

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:52:03 EST

Hey Everybody!

I think for some kind of adventures/characters it would be nice to use armor as an ability instead of a bonus. So in a fight you could use your armorrating to resist an attack, maybe augmented by a combatability or whatever. As my first step i used the bonus table for equipment and gave it a little more detail by assigning ranks for even numbers, like this:

tough leather Rank1
cuirbouilli Rank2
studded leather Rank2
chainmail Rank3
scalemail Rank4
plate Rank5

from there, all you had to do, was calculating the rating as if it was an automatic augment, thus mulitplying every rank by 10:

tough leather 10
cuirbouilli 20
studded leather 20
chainmail 10M
scalemail 20M
plate 10M2

Now what i wonder is, do people find 10M2 for platearmor justified ? It means you have to be a master to be able to defeat the resistance of plate...(M2)...

Before i used the above formula, i assigned ratings that i found myself reasonable, like this:

leather 4
tough leather 8
cuirbouilli 15
studded leather 17
chainmail 1M
scalemail 7M
plate 10M

you might use it that way, except that plate is pretty bad. If you think of automatic augments it will only give you a bonus of +3, instead of the normal 5.

Another possibility might be to give plate the ability of 10M2 but also the flaw: cumbersome at the same rating.
Any comments or other ideas ?!

all the best

Christian