Re: Visibility of stealth magic?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:06:17 -0800

Remember that the rules in HQ are the "normal" ones - special cases are always around, though not necessarily addressed in the rules.

Concealment magic is rather useless if it hides you from sight but then puts a glowing aura around you, so obviously concealment magic isn't *normally* visible. However, "Hide from Sight" probably doesn't eliminate sound, scent, vibration of air molocules, the sense of touch of the tree you're leaning against, or brainwaves honed in on by some mind-sucking monster. It *can* be that those with specialized sensory organs (Trolls, Elves, Dwarves, Mind-sucking Monsters) can detect you even easier due to the magic, or at least are not penalized by the magic - a dog using "Scent Prey", a troll using "Darksense", a dwarf with "Earthsense", an elf with "Elfsense" and a Mind-sucking Monster with "Hone in on brainwaves" won't have trouble finding someone using "Hide From Sight", since they are using other senses than sight. And magic to detect magic would probably hone right in on the etheric disturbances/hand of god/spirit presence involved (assuming it was looking for the right *kind* of magic...)

A magic to make one totally undetectable to anyone is probably a Secret of a Thief or Hunter religion.

RR
- Richelieu

> >So all magic tends to be visible, especially high powered magic.
> >
> >Soooo, say you had two magical abilities, like "hide in cover 5W2"
> >and "blend into surroundings 15W."
> >
> >You could nominally use the second to augment the first, giving you a
> >hide in cover ability of 9W2. However you are using a powerful
> >magic, and a second quite powerful magic to augment it.
> >
> >How does that work out? The magic is visible in that when you cast
> >it you almost visibly disapear?
>
> Sounds reasonable. There might be a general aura of magic in the area
> as well - I'd say that it would not generally be detectable just by
> ordinary sight, though. Opponents could presumably use magic-sensing
> abilities (of the appropriate type) in an attempt to find the person
> hiding (and the magic might be apparent if that succeeded - perhaps
> the character is swathed in shadows or has changed colour like a
> chameleon).
>
> > Or does high level stealth magic
> >really not work well, because there is this glow over there behind
> >the bushes, and you can't quite tell what it is from, but obviously
> >something made it, and maybe you should put a crossbow bolt through
> >it to be on the safe side?
>
> Apart from the fact that I'd want to see an explicit ruling to that
> effect, it would seem to go against MGF. So I'd say no.
>

> >Then presuming that stealth magic doesn't give itself away, how well
> >will it conceal other magic?
> >
> >So, you are using your "hide in cover" magic, but want to use
> >your "strong like bull 5W2" to augment before ambushing your foe.
> >Did doing that prove that you are 'smart like streetcar'* since the
> >glow gives you away? Or does it give a penalty to the stealth
> >magic? Or because it is a weaker magic than the stealth magic, is it
> >concealable?
>
> I'd say that the ability ought to either be a negative augment on
> hiding or give an augment in attempts to find the hiding character.
> Or you could do a contest of the hiding ability versus each other
> magical ability that was to be hidden.
>
> --
> --
> "The T'ang emperors were strong believers in the pills of
> immortality. More emperors died of poisoning from ingesting minerals
> in the T'ang than in any other dynasty" - Eva Wong _The Shambhala
> Guide to Taoism_
>
> Paul K.

HeroQuest-rules-unsubscribe_at_...