Re: Rune Lords

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:35:48 -0800

Rob

>I think from reading Storm Tribe that somebody who qulifies as a
>Runelord is a lot rairer than the Runelords in the old Runequest
>rules. Do you agree?

I don't know that Storm Tribe mentions rune lords. I think a devotee might be the approximate equivalent, and I think they're more common among players (since you can start the game as one). They 're probably less common among the game world simply because that's now better documented.

If you did mean disciple, I think disciples are more rare than rune lords, among players and the world.

>Has anyone seen any notes for converting Runequest character to HQ?

It might be a bit easier than to HW, since there's Common Magic, but I recommend against it, for two broad reasons:

  1. HeroQuest characters will have all sorts of odd but broadly useful abilities (as seen on this list recently). In general, RuneQuest characters have what's on the standard sheet, with one or two exceptions that don't have the chance to go up.
  2. The conversion won't be perfect -- for example, a character who has a great strike rank and always swings first won't have that. I think that players sort of expect their characters to remain the same, and it simply won't happen.

I did once do a conversion of sorts, but I fudged things by saying that all the characters were several years older, and had people recreate them, rather than converting "Broadsword attack 125%" to 5w (or whatever you think mastery should relate to).

--

David Dunham