RE: Re: Augments

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 01:15:42 -0600

>From: David Dunham <david_at_...>

>(As a Narrator with far more HW experience than HQ, I'm still trying
>to guage the size of a typical augment. Seems like the players are
>always ending up with more than the NPCs, which makes it harder to
>come up with challenging opponents.)

Personally, I think that this is a great effect. That is, what you can do is just give the bad guys fairly high levels of ability, and let the players overcome them based on the augmenting effect. Hence you get the underdog PCs able to take out guys who are potentially way more powerful in principle - because they care about the situation more. Very dramatic.

After a couple of easy defeats of opponents, you start to discover what level of total force PCs are able to throw around in certain situations, and can adjust to that. Build it up over time. That's also dramatic. What's also cool about all this is that you can just reference one or two abilities for the bad guys, and not be shorting them. Makes administering them easy.

When you finally do discover that arch-nemisis, you'll find him having not only high abilities, but also the same number of augments as the PCs. Because these are the guys who care about the situation just as much as the PCs do. They're the ones who are really fun to defeat, because you can see your valuse system triumphing over theirs.

Mike

High-speed users�be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1