Re: Blackbeak

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:23:59 -0800 (PST)

Me:
> > Quack?!? There's another Blackbeak out there?

Jane:
> I'm afraid so. A Sidekick. Blackbeak the Deathdrake.
> Who has a nasty sense of humour, an obsession with
> money, and keeps trying to chat up my Babeester Gor
> sidekick. He brings her bits of dead enemies as
> presents. Those bits that ducks can reach. I'm a bit
> worried about him :(

That actually does sound a bit like Blackbeak. He was not my character, I have to say. He was the ugliest, greediest duck ever to exist (RQ CHA = 2). He went for sorcery, though, and was not Humakti. He was utterly amoral, so bringing little formerly living gifts to his girlfiend [sic] is somewhat in character.

>"reinierd":

> Sorry, Chris. When I made up this character I
> 1) was not aware of the illustrious pirate,
> 2) hadn't played in Glorantha in something like
> 13 years (this accounts for a lot of other
> problems I had too). So what did I do? I went
> right for Ducks and Humakti.

Of course.

> I think Blackbeak's only notable abilities are:
> --Tell dirty jokes

Sounds like Blackbeak all right.

> --Admire [Jane's Babeester Gor sidekick], mostly
> for her utter ruthlessness in combat

Hmm. Our Blackbeak would not have admired much of anything. Except money. He once ran a protection racket in Nochet (before I joined the group).

I'd add Ugly 7W to your list, if this is Blackbeak reborn.

Once, when a minotaur was in the party, the minotaur insisted on carrying around some orange sauce and talking about duck ala orange. The minotaur got killed by a salamander or something and Blackbeak served orange "beef" that night.

Guy Hoyle can recite more stories. I once wrote up the glorious deth of Blackbeak, in which he accidentally became an unwilling hero and saved the party, but I can't seem to figure out which group I posted it to.

Sadly, Blackbeak's spirit is now stored in a snow globe. When we saved the future king of Loskalm, he put us to sleep for 80 years to send us back to the future. Unfortunately, our "tomb" was looted and we lost most of our goodies. Fortunately, Fido Two Clubs, the once-flayed awakened herdman, had the sense to tuck Blackbeak's snow globe between his legs before lying down for his nap, so we still have the snow globe. Unfortunately, 80 years of looking at that scenery drove poor Blackbeak's soul insane and he now lusts for vengance against the group. We frequently see him impotently shaking his little duck fists at us and soundlessly ranting about his fate. This is humorous because Blackbeak was an athiest who believed that, after death, his essence would simply dissipate; turns out there was a hell for him after all. I look forward to the day we can reincarnate him. He was a mightily entertaining character.

Chris Lemens