Re: Re: Releasing a spirit (was: same magic, different source, different application, all at once?)

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:49:12 +0000

Hi!

Bryan made some excellent points about releasing fetishes.

When this was initially presented to me during playtesting, I also balked at the idea. However, Bryan's points were brought up as well as a couple of others:

Spirits don't change, only your relationship to them. While everyone around the animist is increasing their affinities and spells, the spirits' power doesn't increase. Somewhere it has been said that animists are more powerful than others at low level and less powerful than others at high level. I have found this to be true.

I don't remember exactly how it's worded in the book but the idea was that this would normally only be able to happen once an adventure. The playtester running an animist was very conservative with releasing his spirits since once they're released, he no longer got the auto augment. Also, this might be a big baddie you're facing but what if there's a bigger one around the corner? Sure, you can try to get the spirit back quicker but that takes some time and since you're probably not home, you won't have all those bonuses to open that gateway into the spirit world. You also better hope that you're not attacked while on the other side, either...

Camo