Playing Animists

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:18:08 -0800 (PST)

Guy Hoyle and I played HeroQuest with some Praxian characters today. I narrated. We had three characters, all Impalas: a Storm Bullman, a male Daka Fali, and an Eirithan. I had a couple of canned narrator characters. Then we had nameless backups. A couple of observations and related questions, in no particular order:

First, it seemed that concentrating animism is pretty expensive in terms of lost common magic. This might not be true in other cultures. In Prax, if you concentrate, you lose the Survival Tricks and get nothing but the promise of future advancement. (Sounds like certain carrer paths.) This is a hard choice for a new character. Is this common to any other strains of animism?

For the Daka Fali, I stuck with common magic and had lots of flexibility. For the Eirithan, I concentrated, and ended up pretty poor in magic. I think that Praxians that concentrate must join a Daka Fal practice and get some ancestors to fill in the basic sorts of magic they otherwise lose.

Second, the rules seemed unclear on a few things. Or maybe we'r ejusy dense. We gave up trying to resolve these questions:

Chris Lemens

Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html