Re: More Animism Questions

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:00:55 -0000

In other words, you keep your common magic charms, but lose your common magic feats, talents, and spells.

Also worth noting in the same section is that: "The hero can use any common magic charms that he has as active abilities after concentrating his magic. However, tradition and pracctice spiritis in charms cannot be used in this way and still only provide automatic augments."

In other words, it can be very much in the animists interests to have a few commom magic charms that make for interesting active abilities.

However, page 136, "Benefits and Obligations" (of being a practioner) notes:
"Practitioners who who conentrate their magic can keep any common magic charms that they have and use their abilities actively. However, many spirits frown onmagic that comes from outside the tradition."

In other words, when you become a practioner and have to care more about spirit attitudes, you might find that keeping common magic charms gives you a penalty when dealing with certain practice spirits.

> 2. Spirits (be they in charms, fetishes, practice spirits or allied
> spirits) can not have their abilites increased after "capture" ? If
> you want a more powerful spirit you have to get a new one ?

Page 134, "Tradition Spirits and Charms" says: "A charm has a single ability with a set rating, which cannot be changed or increased."
Page 134, "Common Magic Charms" says:
"Any animist who concentrates his magic can use the common magic charms he knows as active abilities. He can continue to increase thier ratings as normal for common magic." Page 138, "Contest: Ally a Friendly Spirit notes: "Any Victory: Pay 1 hero point to make the spirit a spirit ally, keeping all of its ability ratings intact. Like any spirit, its ability ratings cannot be increased."

There is nothing specific about fetishes, but by inference the same rule applies there. So common magic charms are alway started at your common magic key word level, and can be increased as a normal ability. Tradition and practice charms, practice fetishes, and spirit allies come with some set ability levels, and those abilities cannot be increased. Note however that your relationship with practice spirits in fetishes and with spirit allies can be increased.

> 3. How many Charms & Fetishes could a character that starts the
game
> as a Practitioner start with ?

Opinions may differ on this, and you may want to rule depending on the character background, but generally I would say: - if you start un-concentrated, you get 5 common magic abilities, as normal. These may or may not all be charms. - As a member of your tradition, you get get five tradition charms. - As a practioner, you get at least one practice spirit in a fetish, and more likely one of each practice spirit. - In your list or narrative you may add to this. - If you choose to start with concentrated magic, you don't get the common magic abilities. Therefore while you narrative could state that you have a spirit ally, since you have to concentrate to get a spirit ally, you can't have both that and the default five common magic abilities.
- If you start with concentrated magic, your list or narrative could define a common magic charm that you have.

At least, that is my reading of it.

--Bryan