RE: Re: More Animism Questions

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:24:05 -0600

Thanks for the persistence, Bryan. I think that I now understand some of this better because of your responses.

>From: bethexton_at_...

>Also worth noting in the same section is that: "The hero can use any
>common magic charms that he has as active abilities after
>concentrating his magic. However, tradition and pracctice spiritis
>in charms cannot be used in this way and still only provide automatic
>augments."
>
>In other words, it can be very much in the animists interests to have
>a few commom magic charms that make for interesting active abilities.

This is interesting, but a tad odd. Why would a concentrated practitioner be able to use his common magic charms actively, but not his specialized magic? Just seems backwards somehow. Anybody have a good rationale? I think that it's interesting, given the potential problems later with it. I just don't get why it would be so.

>Page 134, "Tradition Spirits and Charms" says:
>"A charm has a single ability with a set rating, which cannot be
>changed or increased."
>Page 134, "Common Magic Charms" says:
>"Any animist who concentrates his magic can use the common magic
>charms he knows as active abilities. He can continue to increase
>thier ratings as normal for common magic."
>Page 138, "Contest: Ally a Friendly Spirit notes:
>"Any Victory: Pay 1 hero point to make the spirit a spirit ally,
>keeping all of its ability ratings intact. Like any spirit, its
>ability ratings cannot be increased."
>
>There is nothing specific about fetishes, but by inference the same
>rule applies there. So common magic charms are alway started at your
>common magic key word level, and can be increased as a normal
>ability. Tradition and practice charms, practice fetishes, and
>spirit allies come with some set ability levels, and those abilities
>cannot be increased. Note however that your relationship with
>practice spirits in fetishes and with spirit allies can be increased.

This is very clarifying. Basically, would it make sense to say that a Spirit bound to a Fetish is like a supporting character? The PC only controls them through the relationship ability if at all? So, since they're not like a follower, but again like a supporting character, this explains why you can't add to them? If so, this is all much more clear. The Spirit is "independent" of the character. Listing it's abilities on the sheet is just for reference, not an indication that the PC controls the ability directly at all. Right?

>- As a practioner, you get at least one practice spirit in a fetish,
>and more likely one of each practice spirit.

This may be the source of a lot of confusion. When the book says that Practitioners get one of each Practice Spirits, that indicates that they get a relationship to one of each which are bound in Fetishes? That would make sense - I've been wondering what it means to "Have a Spirit" when it doesn't indicate whether that means in a Fetish or in a Charm. This would clear things up a lot.

>- If you choose to start with concentrated magic, you don't get the
>common magic abilities. Therefore while you narrative could state
>that you have a spirit ally, since you have to concentrate to get a
>spirit ally, you can't have both that and the default five common
>magic abilities.

Just to be pedantic, I think you can do this. If the character pays a Hero Point at the start, he can keep both the common magic keyword, and the specialized magic keyword, no? I mean, obviously in the case of a concentrated animist, the abilities could only be charms, but if you took only charms to start, and paid the point, they'd all stay, correct? Important to me beacuse this is where my current character is at.

>- If you start with concentrated magic, your list or narrative could
>define a common magic charm that you have.

But you'd have to have the common magic keyword to do this, right? So if you have the keyword, then why would you not have the five base abilities associated with it?

Mike

Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S. locations. http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx