Re: Followers and Multiple Attackers

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:46:32 -0800

> It's strange that this should come up now, as I was looking through the
> FAQ the other day, and thought I was still not completely clear about
> exactly how followers worked for Multiple attacker penalties, However
> when I read it again more carefully as I tried to frame a question to
> post here it all fell into place. The key being that followers reduce
> the penalty for being attacked by multiple opponents, but don't reduce
> the penalty for attacking multiple opponents in one action.

Actually, no, they negate *both* kinds of Multiple Opponent penalties. ("Followers and Multiple Opponents" - HQ 79). What they don't do is *impose* MO penalties on your opponent - If I'm all alone and am facing a guy with 3 followers, there is no MO penalty since there is only one "Die Rolling Entity" facing me.

> Dealing with Bryan's example first...
>
> >Now Dan wants to join the combat. The goal is for Bob to have no
> >penalty against the third attacker, and only -3 against the fourth.
> >Dan can't add his AP to Bob at this point. He could augment him, or
> >loan him AP I suppose. How would you rule what is sufficient
> >commitment to count as a third defender?
>
> I'd agree Dan can't just add his AP to Bob, P67 seems clear that this is
> only an option at the start of a contest. So it looks like either
> Loaning AP or Augmenting, would be appropriate. The description of
> loaning AP on p71 seems more concerned with a PC loaning AP to another
> PC, rather than followers. It doesn't suggest what happens to the
> loaner if the main actor loses the contest, whereas the rules on
> augmentation p80 are explicit that the augmentor suffers defeat as
> normal. However if you justify the loaning of AP's by saying Dan is
> joining the contest then having him suffer any consequences of defeat
> seems more than justified.

I don't allow a Follower to loan AP using the AP lending rules - the Follower is simply another facet of the character, not a separate entity (at least for the purposes of the dice rolling mechanics). So if Bob wants Dan's AP, Dan will be in the thick of things, not "throwing him a sword or jeering at the opponent" (HQ 71).

RR
- Richelieu