Re: Balastor & the Trollkin

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:31:28 -0800

- Richelieu

> My idea was that in any one round he'd be facing 10 trollkin but that any
> that were killed would be indefinitely replaced. Sure it might take a
while
> to get that first 7AP transfer but that brings the chance of the next one
> down etc etc.
>
> This kind of contest enforces the scene where the little guys have to
suffer
> huge casualties and slowly bring down the hero due to a myriad of little
> cuts and wounds.
>
> > Balastar attacking six trollkin in one shot has a -15 mod, for
> > 15w2, and the trollkin get six rolls at 5w to compare against it.
>
> As he's bidding 50 AP then I guess he'll only attack four trollkin then
and
> give himself the opportunity to gain those 100 AP with the best shot - so
> 1W3 against the best of 4 rolls on 5W. I'll take the odds! :-)

In this sort of situation I'd probably go for "A horde is somewhere in between" (HQ 186, "Dealing with hordes"), combined with "The SWAT Team" approach from the FAQ. No matter how many groups you send at him, a hero has very little to fear when he has a 5w2 master advantage over any number of opponents. So, you make the opponents tougher. Use augments to make one or two groups of trollkin into "Super trollkin", swamp him with numbers, then hit him with the Super Group when he has that -15 penalty. The un-augmented trollkin will die in droves, but he will get worn down by the ST hits.

Narratively, you can think about it as the "inferior" trollking clogging up the ground making it hard to maneuver, getting the grips of his sword slippery with their blood, maybe a flying piece of trollkin tooth hits him in the face...

RR